Monday, November 10, 2008

Homemade Tau Suan

All that mess with the dough, kneading it, rolling it and cutting it out..

The frying of the dough
After cutting it...

The finished product

Serene had her housewarming last Saturday. And in following tradition, each of us brought something Singaporean. Yum yum! I tried to make the Singaporean dessert speciality - Tau Suan. It was really yummilious! For a first try, I was really satisfied with it. My hubby sadly didn´t like the taste of the Mung beans but he liked the you tiao. And the "not-so-good" ones, aka those that tasted more bready than airy.... positive side is that I have someone who would eat the not-so-gd you tiao! haha.

I bought a packet of "you tiao" - which is basically fried dough mix. The instructions looked simple enough.... until I started making it. Had to add water and oil and knead it with my fingers. I almost fainted. I needed about 300 kneads to make the dough firm, but I think I only managed about 100 kneads. Still at least half the you tiao turned out nice. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails