Monday, May 15, 2017

Happy Mother's Day!

We took a spontaneous trip to Strasbourg, France last Saturday.

I was complaining to the hub that I was so bored out of my mind! Stuttgart is a small city and the foodie in me was so "sian" (bored) of the restaurant options here. The rainy and unpredictable weather has had us stuck at home way too often and I simply needed a change in scenery.

Seeing that it was my hub's birthday on the 9th of May and Mother's Day the next day, we decided to just whinge it and lug 3 kids with us for a daytrip to France!

And oh boy! Were we SO happy we did it! Our maiden road trip as a family of 5! It turned out much better than we had feared. 3 out of 5 of us slept on the way there, so the journey felt much shorter!

We managed to make it for our usual salmon sashimi and grilled yakitori lunch, walk around the old city centre, indulge in the ever-famous Gelato ice-cream aaaaannnd.....

I did some retail therapy at NAF NAF!

Honestly guys, my eyes almost popped out of its sockets when I entered that store! I felt like Alice in Wonderland! All those spring colours! All those floral dresses! All that French fashion! Gosh!

Even Gabriel asked me, "Wow Mummy, are you a Princess?"

I felt bad making my 4 guys wait for me while I tried on dress after dress and outfit after outfit! But, I so needed it!

I think it's an occupational hazard when you have 3 boys. You end up shopping only for boys' clothes. And as a woman, its hard for your eyes to only shop for guys' clothes. I felt starved of beautiful fashion, you know what I mean? I won't consider myself fashion-conscious but I didn't realize how much I missed women fashion until I started shopping for myself again!

There is just sooo much more variety! And ohhhh the colours! And all those floral prints that you'd never see on boys' clothes.

Funnily-enough, as if to make me feel better, the heavens opened and it poured like crazy while we were at Naf Naf. I kid you not. It rained cats and dogs! So we were stuck at the store anyway!

I could actually shop in peace without feeling too guilty! The baby was pretty cooperative too. The poor hub had to carry the baby for the most part of the hour during which I was in that store shopping.

I was actually the last one to leave the store when it closed at 7pm! We rushed to the huge shopping mall where we grabbed the famous chocolate waffle from the Waffle Factory, I stocked up on French madeleines and fresh shrimps! Don't ask me why, but even French shrimps taste better. haha.

The two older kids fell asleep ín the car after only having the chocolate waffle for dinner. I was feeding the baby some home-cooked spaghetti bolognaise in the car when I told the hub, "Wow, I think we had a pretty successful day."

Immediately after that, the baby puked all over himself! He was coughing and somehow couldn't get rid of his blocked throat and we had spaghetti spewed all over the carseat. Yikes! We had to pull over, change him, clean him up before continuing on our journey.

Still, it was such a nice breath of fresh air to do something out of the ordinary. I feel that whenever you have a new addition to the family, it always feel like its hard to get out of the house or even go on longer trips.

But spontaneity and doing something just because its FUN, is sooo necessary for a healthy family / couple life! It injects fire into your daily life! And it gives you the confidence that yes, even with yet another baby, you can continue to live life the way you want to live. The kids love it. The baby loved it. And we loved it most of all!

Was it tiring? You bet it was
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!

Happy Mother's Day all you lovely ladies!
Yummy Japanese food!



Meeting Charlie Chaplin! Sam was quite scared!

 The lovely sights in Strasbourg

Patiently waiting for their Gelato!

Look! My floral Gelato! Trust the Italians to even know how to decorate an ice-cream cone!

Couldn't wait to tuck into our chocolate waffles! This was SO good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails